The Brabham BT11 (also known as Repco Brabham BT11) is a Formula One racing car built in 1964, mainly for use by privateers in grand prix racing, but was also used by the Brabham works team during 1964 and 1965. It was the only competitive car of the period available to privateers, recording eight podium finishes in total. The car's best results came at consecutive events in the United States and Mexico 1965, with Dan Gurney qualifying and finishing second in the latter.It was in a BT11 that 1970 World Champion Jochen Rindt debuted in Grand Prix racing. John Taylor however died four weeks after suffering severe burns in an accident with Jacky Ickx's Matra at the 1966 German Grand Prix.The BT11 was also raced in the popular off season Tasman Series.The Brabham BT11 was originally planned as a customer version of the Brabham BT7. But at the end of 1964 and 1965 the BT11 was also used as a works car. Five vehicles were produced as BT11A for the Tasman series.The cars delivered to Rob Walker's team were powered by a B.R.M. engine. However, the regulating engine was the 2.7 litre engine from Climax and from 1966 the power unit from Repco. Most BT11s had a chequered history. Bob Anderson came third in a BT11 of the DW-Enterprise-Racing-Team at the Austrian Grand Prix in 1964. The Walker BT11, with which Jo Siffert came third in the US Grand Prix that same year and won the Formula 1 race in Enna, was sold to John Willment at the end of the year. With this car Graham Hill won the Rand Grand Prix. In 1965 Frank Gardner still competed in several world championship races with it. Until 1968, the BT11 was used at international events.Drivers of the BT11: Chris Amon, Bob Anderson, Joakim Bonnier, Luki Botha, Jack Brabham, Dave Charlton, Fank Gardner, Dan Gurney, Graham Hill, Denis Hulme, Chris Irwin, Hap Sharp, Jo Siffert and John Taylor.
The BRM P261, also known as the BRM P61 Mark II, is a Formula One motor racing car, designed and built by the British Racing Motors team in Bourne, Lincolnshire, England. The BRM P261 was introduced for the 1964 Formula One season, and its design was an evolution of Tony Rudd's one-off BRM P61 car of 1963. The P261 had a relatively long racing career; variants of the car were still being entered for Formula One World Championship Grands Prix as late as 1968. During the course of their front-line career BRM P261s won six World Championship races, in the hands of works drivers Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart, and finished second in both the Drivers' and Constructors' Championship standings in 1964 and 1965. Stewart, Hill and Richard Attwood also used works P261s to compete in the Tasman Series in 1966. The BRMs dominated, with Stewart winning four, Hill two, and Attwood one of the 1966 Tasman Series' eight races. Stewart also won the title. The works-backed Reg Parnell Racing team returned in 1967 with Stewart and Attwood, where Stewart added another two wins to his tally. In terms of races won and total Championship points scored, the P261 was the most successful car in BRM's history.BRM's new driver signing for the 1965 Formula One season was promising young Scot Jackie Stewart. In his very first race meeting for the team, the 1965 Race of Champions at Brands Hatch, Stewart used his P261 to immediately make his mark, taking second place in the overall aggregate positions after two heats. Stewart took his first outright race win in that year's International Trophy race. Fortunately for BRM, the car's late season lack of reliability had been cured by the time that the 1965 World Championship season began, and of the BRM P261's twenty Grand Prix starts only four did not result in a points-scoring finish. Hill again won in Monaco and the USA, while Stewart eventually took a closely contested Italian Grand Prix, his first ever World Championship race win in only his first Formula One season, wiping out memories of the previous year's humiliation at Monza. Again BRM took second spot in the constructors' standings at the season's end, with Hill and Stewart taking second and third, respectively, in the Drivers' Championship.Colin Chapman's monocoque Lotus 25 of 1962 had put the writing on the wall for older spaceframe chassis designs, and most other Formula One constructors hurriedly started work on their own monocoque cars. The BRM P261 was British Racing Motors's first fully monocoque chassis. Its prototype, the one-off P61 introduced in 1963, had pioneered many of BRM's monocoque elements, but had used a tubular subframe for its rear engine mounting. As its name suggests, with the P261 (or P61 Mark II) designer Tony Rudd simply built upon the P61's structure, rather than introducing a completely new car. To emphasise this continuity, the P261 chassis numeration continues the P61 sequence, with the first P261 chassis being numbered 2612.BRM had some previous experience of stressed skin construction with the BRM P25, so Rudd was in a good position to be able to exploit the new technology to the full. This previous experience meant that Rudd's use of the monocoque was somewhat different from the pioneering Lotus's frame. Where the 25 had been a channel-section frame with an open top, within which the driver sat, the P261 chassis was a slim tubular-section, into which a hole was cut to allow the driver to gain access. To replace the P61's subframe the side pontoons of the P261 chassis were extended behind the driver's seat, and the engine was mounted between them. Within the pontoons, rubber cells were used to retain fuel. This caused complications early in the P261's life, as BRM's new, high-exhaust version of the P56 V8 engine was not ready for the start of the 1964 season, and holes had to be cut in the pontoons to allow the exhaust pipes of the older, low-exhaust version to pass through them. The centre exhaust engine appeared at the 1964 Italian Grand Prix in Graham Hill's new chassis "2616" and this and "2617", which was Jackie Stewart's regular car in 1965, were the only two P261s which did not have the exhaust slots. These were plated over on the earlier cars which remained in service, but could be opened up if necessary to fit outside exhaust engines, as happened in the 1967 Tasman Championship.In comparison to the older engine, the position of the inlet trumpets and exhaust manifolds had been switched, so that the exhausts exited on the upper surface of the engine, within the cylinder vee, and the inlets protruded above the chassis pontoons on either side of the car. Between the chassis pontoons the engine was covered with a removable, curved panel. Completing the engine cowling was a near-circular gearbox and differential cover at the rear, through which the tail pipes of the exhausts protruded. Shifting the inlets to the outer edges of the car allowed the engine to ingest cooler, denser air, boosting the motor's power output. The compact exhaust bundle also allowed a svelte packaging of the engine bay. However, the heat build-up from the confined manifold necessitated cutting a hole in the top of the engine cover. Despite this, the BRM P261's barrel-shaped rear end became one of its most distinctive visual characteristics.The engine's internals remained almost unaltered from the Peter Berthon-designed unit which was installed in the V8 version of the P57, the BRM P578, with which Graham Hill had won the World Championship in 1962. BRM had experimented with a four-valve-per-cylinder version of the engine, but this was abandoned in favour of the tried and trusted, oversquare (68.5 x 50.8 mm), fuel-injected, two-valve, quad-cam configuration. The 1965 Formula One engine was rated at 210 bhp (157 kW) at 11,000 rpm, but was upgraded at Monza to 220 bhp (164 kW) at 11,750 rpm. In its Formula One form the engine had a capacity of 1,498 cc (91 cu in), but for the early 1966 Tasman Series races this was increased to 1,916 cc (116.9 cu in). In 1966 the Formula One upper engine size limit was raised from 1.5 to 3.0 litres, and the 1.9-litre Tasman unit was pressed into service for the World Championship as well. It was further uprated to 2.0 litres as the season progressed. For the P261's 1967 trip to the Antipodes the engine capacity was stretched yet further, providing the ultimate 2,136 cc (130.3 cu in) version, which also saw service in a few Formula One races later in the year. In an attempt to keep the P261 competitive into 1968, the fifth chassis was fitted with the new, 3-litre V12 BRM engine, but without success.Fully independent double wishbone suspension was employed at all four corners. Another significant change made from the P61 design was to move the suspension shock absorber components outboard at the rear. This switch was initially made to accommodate the extra cam-cover space needed to employ the 32-valve motor, but though that unit was shelved the suspension geometry was retained. At the front, the coil spring and damper units were retained within the monocoque skin, resulting in a clean, aerodynamic profile around the car's nose-cone. Braking was by outboard-mounted, Dunlop disc brakes all round.A total of six BRM P261 cars were constructed, with both the first and last chassis built being written off during their careers and rebuilt by the factory. All six survive.
The Cooper T77 is a Formula 1 single-seater built by the British team Cooper to participate in the 1965 Formula 1 World Championship, driven by Bruce McLaren and Jochen Rindt.In 1967, Silvio Moser competed in the UK Grand Prix in a Cooper T77 equipped with an ATS engine in place of the Coventry Climax, on behalf of the private racing team Charles Vögele Racing.1965 was the last year of Formula 1 for 1.5 liter engines. Jochen Rindt got his Formula 1 chance from the Cooper team, where he had to replace Phil Hill. In Formula 2 Rindt had long since proved that he was world class. With the Cooper T77 as Urban Fässler took him to the Racecar-Trophy, Rindt could only sporadically show his brilliant skills. The T77 was equipped with the already legendary V8-cylinder Coventry-Climax engine which with 16 valves produced 205 hp at 10.000 rpm. Cooper achieved fifth place in the constructors' championship with the team Bruce McLaren/Jochen Rindt, it was the year in which Jim Clark became world champion on Lotus. Rindt ranked 13th in the drivers' world championship with only 4 world championship points.Jochen Rindt was slowed down in the Cooper-Climax by constant understeer and many retirements, but he was so good, "that he could easily avoid all trials of a car" as Jackie Stewart put it. Rindt finished seventh in a non-WRC race at Brands Hatch, eleventh in Belgium, fourth at the Nürburgring and sixth at Watkins Glen.The Cooper-Climax T77 puts the racing car construction in the display in this last year of the 1.5 litre formula, when Cooper - where the rear engine revolution once began - had fallen behind Lotus, Brabham and Ferrari in chassis technology.
The Brabham BT7 (also known as Repco Brabham BT7) is a Formula One racing car. It was raced by the Brabham Racing Organisation and several privateers from 1963 to 1966. A development of its predecessor, the Brabham BT3, the car proved to be competitive during 1963 and 1964, taking Dan Gurney to two victories. Technical issues prevented the BT7 from scoring better results. The car was equipped with a more reliable Hewland gearbox compared to the Colotti-Francis in the BT3. Malcolm Sayer from Jaguar Cars was consulted to give input for the revised chassis. The slick aerodynamics proved particularly strong at high speed circuits such as Monza or Spa. Its successor, the BT11, was a slightly altered BT7 aimed for customers such as Rob Walker or Jo Siffert.It was in this car that Denny Hulme debuted in Grand Prix racing. He would later win the 1967 World Driver's Championship.The BT7 was also raced in Formula 2 by Hubert Hahne among others using a 2-litre BMW Neue Klasse engine.
The Ferrari 1512 was used by the Scuderia Ferrari in Formula 1 in 1964 and 1965.With the Ferrari 1512, the Scuderia returned to the twelve-cylinder engine. This was the Tipo 207, a 180° V engine with a displacement of 1489 cc. The output was 220 bhp. The car had the chassis of the Ferrari 158 and was already used towards the end of the 1964 season and the entire 1965 World Automobile Championship parallel to the 158.John Surtees was not particularly enthusiastic about the 1512 and almost always preferred the 158. The best place for the 1512 was Lorenzo Bandini's second place at the Monaco Grand Prix in 1965.Ferrari built a flat-12 powered Formula One car using the same chassis as the 158, designated the Ferrari 1512 or Ferrari 512 F1. The flat-12 engine was designed by Mauro Forghieri and displaced 1,489.63 cc (90.903 cu in) with a bore and stroke of 56.0 mm × 50.4 mm (2.20 in × 1.98 in). This engine developed 220 PS (162 kW; 217 hp) @ 12,000 rpm compared to the 210 PS (154 kW; 207 hp) @ 11,000 rpm of the 158's V8 engine. This power output made it one of the most powerful 1.5-litre Formula One engines, second to Honda's RA271 V12. A total of three 1512 chassis were produced, numbered 0007, 0008 and 0009.The 1512, with its larger, more powerful engine, was designed to be competitive on the longest, fastest circuits of the Formula One season, such as Reims, Spa, and Monza. In this role it complemented the lighter, nimbler V8-powered 158 which was more competitive on small, twisty circuits. The 1512 made its racing debut at the 1964 US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, and raced alongside the 158 during the remainder of 1964 and into 1965.
The Lotus 33 was a Formula 1 racing car, built and used from 1964 to 1967 by the British Lotus Formula 1 team.The Lotus 33 was an evolution of the Lotus 25, with the chassis and front and rear suspension redesigned to accommodate the new, wider Dunlop tyres. From the middle of the season, the Lotus 33 replaced the 25 and became the dominant car in the 1965 Formula 1 World Championship.For the first season of the new 3-litre formula, the car was still powered by the 2-litre V8 engine from Climax. A V8 engine from B.R.M. was also installed in some 33. Jim Clark became superior world champion with six victories in 1965 and Lotus secured the constructors' cup. But in 1966 the 33 was already clearly inferior to the competition of Brabham. Jim Clark still won the Tasman series, but also the privateers could only celebrate few successes with the 33.In 1967, after the Monaco Grand Prix, the 33 was replaced by the Lotus 49.The Lotus 33's development was based on the earlier Lotus 25 model, taking the monocoque chassis design to new development heights. The 33 was again powered by the 1500 cc Climax engine. The 33 was almost identical to the 25, but had suspension designed around newer, wider tyres. The car was more rigid and was simpler to build than its predecessor.Six Lotus 33s were constructed, with chassis numbers following on from the 25 and beginning with R8. One chassis, R12, was modified to take the stillborn Climax FWMW flat-16 engine; this car was designated the Lotus 39. Chassis number R13 was not used by Team Lotus but was later unofficially adopted by Reg Parnell Racing for their crashed chassis R4, rebuilt around a 33 chassis. The last of the series, R14, was built with a 2-litre version of the Climax V8 for the 1966 World Championship season, pending the arrival of the Lotus 43.
The Honda RA272 was a Formula 1 car of the Japanese manufacturer Honda, which was used in 1965. It was the successor of the Honda RA271, the first Japanese car in Formula 1 and the first Japanese car to win a Grand Prix.A successor to the Honda RA271, the RA272 was noticeable mainly for its technically advanced (though rather wide and heavy) 48-valve 1,495.28 cc V12 engine (58.1 x 47.0 mm), a water-cooled, transversely mounted unit which reportedly gave 230 bhp (170 kW) at 13,000 rpm. The engine was safe to 14,000 rpm, which was unusually high for a 1960s engine design.For their second season in 1965, Honda signed Richie Ginther – who had scored multiple podium finishes and had a reputation for being a great test and development driver – to drive alongside Ronnie Bucknum.The car made its debut at the second round of the season in Monaco. The race ended in a double retirement as the cars suffered gearbox and transmission issues. Ginther qualified fourth at the next race in Belgium, and finished the race in sixth to give Honda their first points finish in Formula One.The next race in France ended with ignition problems for both drivers, after a best qualifying position of seventh by Ginther. At the following British Grand Prix, Ginther qualified an impressive third, just 0.5 seconds off pole position, but the race again ended up in a retirement, this time caused by injection issues.Ginther leading the Dutch Grand Prix. Ginther once again qualified third at the Dutch Grand Prix. He shot into the lead for the first two laps, but eventually finished sixth to score more points.The team didn't participate in the German Grand Prix, but returned for the next race in Italy. In Italy, Bucknum qualified sixth – ahead of Ginther – after not participating in the last three races, but both cars retired from the race with ignition problems. Ginther qualified third in the United States Grand Prix, but finished seventh.The following Mexican Grand Prix was going to be the final race of the season and also the final of the 1,500cc era. Ginther again qualified third and after he took the lead on the first lap, led every lap to win the Grand Prix. Bucknum finished fifth to make it a double points finish. It was a historic moment, as it was the first Grand Prix victory for a Japanese team, car and engine. It was also Goodyear's first Formula One win.The Honda RA272E V12 had staggering acceleration and often led the race into the opening lap after leaving the stationary starting grid. Despite not participating in every race, Honda finished their second season in Formula One sixth in the constructors' championship.GPL 1965 Mod Car Performance DataPartly from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia